When I shared my story about Branching out in a new direction for my Story Business, I expected to receive tons of "unsubscribe" responses.
Life moves so fast now, I'm often overwhelmed by my own email box - I was prepared for the worst.
What a surprise to receive dozens of responses sounding out in Celebration! I was filled with delight to hear how many people where curious about what I was up to!
This is the power of Storytelling.
You too can Harness the Power of Storytelling to connect to your audience in person, through the web or in one-on-one conversations.
Here's a few tips that I use when crafting a Story and helps my listener both connect and imagine with me.
First, locate your story in place and time. Name the place, season, how old you were, or name the people who appear in the story specifically. For example:
- Once, when I was fourteen, I went to Germany for my cousin's wedding, where I saw my first hot air balloon rise into the night sky.
Second, add a few emotionally charged details to build tension and.....interest.
- At fourteen I was a hopeful romantic, so when my cousin's best friend entered the wedding celebration in his European suit......I felt my heart move.
- I managed to get a seat next to him at dinner, when I discovered he was seventeen.
- My sister was also sitting at that dinner table, SHE was sweet sixteen and didn't have braces.
Next, keep your listener engaged by picking a climax, a specific moment that allows your story to begin to release the emotional tension.s
- I realized at that moment that my "European romance" was like a hot air balloon floating far out of my reach.
Satisfying stories End. Allow the listener a moment to digest the images or information, before beginning the next chapter.
- My sister returned to California after the wedding and I traveled on solo all over Europe that Summer.
- I ended up having a "Europe Romance", but it wasn't what I had expected at all.
Let me know if you'd like more support Choosing, Crafting or Presenting your story by
clicking here for a FREE "Storytelling Break-thru Session!